ADD, Recovering Addict, Social Anxiety- and Dev Bootcamp Graduate

Hi everyone, I’d like to share my story in the hope that it will help others in similar straits.

I’m 32 years old, male, and 6 months ago I was diagnosed for the first time with Attention Deficit Disorder. I’m in 3 separate 12-step programs, and on August 5th I celebrated 1 year of sobriety from alcohol and drugs. I’ve long suspected that I have social anxiety disorder (although full disclosure- I haven’t been diagnosed as such), and the goal of my drinking and using was primarily to relieve this anxiety.

The same week I celebrated 12 months of sobriety, I graduated from Dev Bootcamp. I didn’t have health insurance during this time, so I had to go through the experience without medication of any kind. I haven’t taken meds up to this point (although I intend to once I get insurance), so I can’t say if they would have helped me get through the intense hours and emotional roller-coaster. And I did find it necessary to repeat one of the phases, so I needed a total of 12 weeks to graduate (as opposed to the 9 weeks the school mentions on its website).

But for those of you considering a program like this, and really for anyone reading this who wonders whether learning to program is possible while dealing with mental or emotional issues, I’m here to tell you it is.

Feel free to post any questions below, I just graduated a week ago so I’m knee-deep in the job hunt now, but I will try to answer in a reasonably timely manner. Good luck, everyone!