Crossroads ! where to go

i’ve completed 3 years in finance when i won a full scholarships in CS in a good university according to my high mathematical abilities and full marks but i’m now 24 since last week, and afraid that when i finish i’ll be around 29 no one is gonna hire me without experience and i feel i’ll never catch those who programmed since 13 what should i do ? complete my studies and go for a regular job or take the risk and do what i love even without get hired by good companies and high salary ext…

its really overwhelming that i have to take a decision that will affect my life till the end of it

thanks for replying if any

That’s your answer right there.

I agree with @qux - it’s much more likely that you will have higher happiness and quality of life doing the thing you love, rather than not (all while also wondering whether the decision has been the right one). If it’s programming, great!

You can definitely end up being a great programmer, and as far as my own opinion goes, CS degree is more of an enhancement to that rather than a requirement. If you stay up to date with technology trends, learn by yourself and build a few projects during your study years - all while interacting with peers and people from the local communities, you are to have less problem with finding a job than you might think. And of course. all that is much more likely to happen if you genuinely enjoy the thing you do.

The key here is to stay driven, learn as much as you can (degree or not) and have a great time doing the thing you both enjoy and are good at.

My CS degree covers things like Fortran and COBOL. At least they had done away with the punch cards before I started. Stay current on tech and trends and do what you love. Seriously.

There is an important reason to do what you love - there’s where you will find the energy and the time to really improve yourself and stand out.

If you invest on something just because is being ‘trendy’ in job applications, you will be just one more of them.

“If you are being nothing more than yourself, then you are being original”, that means, you have barely no competitors.

An example: two decades ago would be a waste of time to study linguistics in the university, and your parents would advise you to follow a course with better future prospects. Now, Google but also small companies, are struggling to find them to analyse unstructured text data in health records, finance and any possible human field dealing with millions of texts.

2 Likes