Dose anyone take Strattera?

Hi, I am wondering if anyone here takes or has taken Strattera. Starting it today as a replacement for Wellbutrin, which stopped working after a bunch of years. Have never taken this type of drug before and am wondering what to expect. I also take Nefazodone. Thanks :slight_smile:

Not me but please share your experiences!

I am on a high dose of WellButrin (450 mg but was 300 mg for long time) and Adderall XR (40 mg) and Adderall immediate release (2 x 10 mg).

(I am interested in switching to Strattera because it doesnā€™t require paper prescriptions like Adderall.)

I can answer us both. Was googling for cross references between Strattera and autism, and came across a post on my own website from 10 years ago. Apparently I have been down this road before and completely forgot about it.

Unfortunately, the only details I wrote down were that I had just started taking it and was tired and nauseous, but didnā€™t make a note of what other meds I was taking along with it or why I eventually stopped taking it.

Have been taking a very low dose of 10mg for a few days, and donā€™t feel much different other than being extra tired. I think full dose is 40-80mg, so it may be a while before I can tell if it is helping. Going to try 18mg next week, then 25, then 40, etc. until it starts working or side effects get too bad.

I will let you know what happens.

I got a paper prescription for the Strattera. Why is it different from Adderall? Is Adderall more controlled?

Hey! I take strattera for treating ADHD. I have had pretty good luck with it. It is not a stimulant, so I do not have stimulant-related effects that were problematic for me. I believe it is not thought to be prone to abuse, which is why I donā€™t have to show a driverā€™s license when I pick it up at the pharmacy (in Indiana).

I have found that, as part of my cocktail of meds, it has helped my ADHD symptoms considerably. The only bummer right now is that there is not a generic.

Here is the Wikipedia article on it, for what itā€™s worth: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomoxetine

1 Like

my son has autism & adhd and currently takes strattera. seems to be working well for him.

i took it for a short time a year or two ago and couldnā€™t deal with it. It made my testicles hurt all the time like theyā€™d just been kicked, while simultaneously always feeling the need to urinate, yet having to push like hell to get it out. From what I understand this only happens in like 1% of cases though. I was asked ā€œbut did it help with your concentration?ā€ and was like, ā€œhow would I know when this pain is distracting me all the time?ā€

1 Like

I used Strattera for a while. It worked great in the beginning, but the side-effects outweighed the positive effects in my case. Severe sleep issues, pains in theā€¦ lower regions and much more. I went back to Ritalin.

1 Like

Thanks everyone. My Straterra experiment failed just like it did 10 years ago. Tried it for for a couple of months, but had to stop. Felt very strange in my body. Could not tell if it helped me concentrate. Also got migraines much more severe and frequently than I usually do.

For the past few weeks, I have been taking generic Ritalin (methylphenidate), and that seems to be helping a lot more. Still on a small dose (5mg, 2x day), but my concentration and focus have improved some. Still not great, but getting more work done than I was before. I donā€™t feel any stimulant effects. Probably need to be on a higher dose, but like to take these things slowly. Will probably try 15mg/day after I see the doc on Monday.

My parents filled a prescription for it when I was about 11 or so. I couldnā€™t take it, since it made me nauseous. We had to try something else. Iā€™m sure it works for some people, but itā€™s not for everyone.

I have been taking straterra for good 3 months now it is working well on me it keeps my ADHD well controlled. I came to notice the difference of myself with or without taking it, i used to be so tired after all being hyper during the day and i just crashed and fatigued by the evening, Things got better with me i am more fully aware ā€˜focusedā€™ with my task and i get them done on time. The only downfall with this drug is i always forget to eat and it can really cause a loss of weight and also my mornings can be nauseous but all in all i worked for me.