I'm gathering data for a book I'm writing about the connections between mental health and software developers. I could use your input

I’m relatively new to this site, I’ve made one post a while back but mostly just lurk. I’m not sure what the rules are for this site, or if surveys are allowed. If they’re not allowed, I’ll happily remove this post.

I’m in the process of writing a book about the connections between mental health and software developers. As a developer who suffers from depression myself, I wanted to do something to help others in my community who may suffer from similar experiences. I’m really hoping that this book I’m writing can be a resource that someone else finds useful.

I’m at the point in my research where I want to gather my own data. If anyone on this site is willing to take my survey, it would be greatly appreciated.

All responses collected are completely anonymous and will be used strictly for my own research. If you’re interested in taking the survey, you can do so here: https://goo.gl/forms/zbWvn738YHeU2fsk2

Thank you everyone.

1 Like

If it would be helpful, our survey data is CC licensed.

2 Likes

This is very helpful, thanks you!

Hi - I’m new here, but as a software engineer with ADHD (un-diagnosed for 50+ years) happy to find this site.

I’ve doing a data analytics project on mental health in workers, and downloaded the Survey data for 2018, but I have some questions about how to interpret it. Most specifically, why are there three sets of columns for all the diagnosis (3 for Anxiety, 3 for moods, etc). Which one(s) should I use?
Any insights would be appreciated.

Hi folks, I’m a “miscommunicator” by nature and ASD (as of late, feels final imo), I am trying to improve the state of OS project feedback and iteration mechanisms to make them more accessible (beyond the very shallow a11y banner of font-size, color, alt text).

I’d like to know how we can align and help one-another please

I am calling for surveys and focus groups, setting up the right structures, instead of telling folks like myself “we’re not equipped” (in the most ignorant context possible by that statement, yes call a helpline kinda thing) — but my call is not just for ASD, or mental health, but inclusive collaboration dynamics missing in OS imho.

Please see https://github.com/nodejs/community-committee/issues/507

Then specifically https://github.com/nodejs/community-committee/issues/507#issuecomment-542149361

Please also see linked Towards Open Source :) bit

I am in waters way too deep and unfamiliar to me and I feel alone (please help me change that, connect, join), because I will as always come back to the reality that motivated and forces me to remain hopeful.

(Note to self: Too much text) :slight_smile:

Thanks

I have been keeping a closed blog about schizophrenia with short posts about findings and research in science magazines and journals. Perhaps it could be of some help. I am really glad i found this site and would like to give an interview or help in any way I can.

1 Like

I too have finally been able to keep one for the past year, as I reconciled with the better-late-than-never update to ASD (from Bipolar 18-22 yr and ADHD 24-34 yr) along with PTSD, and the now now conditionally justifiable Anxiety and Depression (previously treatment-resistant).

Folks, I’d like to also share that I’ve had major breakthrough in the Node.js over the past few weeks, and that my relentless and sometimes momentarily-hopeless efforts to bring forward matters of mental well-being have finally been met with the full support of a new leader in the OpenJS foundation. So, in collaboration with projects like CHAOSS, we are now taking first steps to forming a metrics-oriented initiative to affect a more inclusive mainstream here.

I used medium to try to convey on details when the conventional tools of open source came without any added privacy to make them worth the lower visibility:

I’d like to offer to connect with anyone interested over zoom, we can come up with agenda items as needed, talk casually, I’m very flexible and I am motivated only by my honest belief that we need to break out of our silos and ride the wave we all contributed to in our own ways.

The usual thing to do is open a doodle to allow people to indicate open times to meet, and so once interest is expressed we can do that next.