Is it normal to feel depressed for no reason?

Hi. I’m 15 and live in Montreal, in canada. The thing is, for like a year or so, I have been feeling really depressed but I have no reason to be. I live in a great house, my parents are separated but now it’s okay, I have friends at school, so I shouldn’t be depressed. I thought it was because I felt not loved by a guy, that I needed a boyfriend or something but I don’t know. I thought it was because I’m adopted and I feel like I don’t fit in, but I do think that, because in my family I feel like I don’t fit in but I don’t know about that either. I thought it was because I hated myself, like my body and personality but kind of every teenager feels like that so I don’t know. The problem is I have been thinking of suicide, I did start cutting myself, I did think of starving myself. Why do I feel like this? Is it really depression?

Salut @jualbjan_kiss, have you talked to a health professional lately about those negative feelings? If not, please give it a try.

In short, there are many reasons for you to develop such symptoms. There is an increasing understanding that anyone, anywhere, at anytime can become depressed. You may have to try different approaches but keep trying.

Hope you get well soon.

1 Like

I wish there was a more straight-forward answer to answer the "Why do I feel like this?"
Sometimes there’s just not a clear reason.

Even though the teenage years are rough, it sounds like you’re experiencing something more than just angst. You deserve to feel better. I would definitely recommend reaching out to a local support resource of some sort.

1 Like

Firstly, I would like to reiterate what everyone’s said here: please see a mental health professional or counselor as soon as you can. That was definitely a big help for me to get over my depression.

Secondly, I think depression can strike at any time. Speaking from personal experience, my depression often has a an external trigger like getting into an argument or missing a deadline. But sometimes I will feel sad and depressed for no particular reason. In those cases, I need to remind myself that this is just temporary, and that this feeling will pass. I just need to accept it and sit with it and not do anything brash.

1 Like

I had very similar experiences as a teenager, and I thought every teenager felt the same or similarly and thus, I should just suck it up. But that’s not true… You aren’t alone and there are people who can help. As others said, definitely talk to a counselor, therapist, or other mental health professional. And there are plenty that will talk with you over the phone if that is easier.

Best wishes.

If you are able to get a therapist, look for once who specializes in adolescents. I understand this may be complicated and difficult because you are not yet independent. Either way, pick up “Feeling Good” by Dr. David Burns and read it, but especially do the exercises. It helps you answer the “why do I feel this way?” question.