So I Had an Interview Today

Well, I went to an interview today. I’m not feeling very great about it and it is a startup. It would be incredibly demanding. They said they aren’t going to make a decision for two weeks or so.

It kind of felt good to go to an interview even though I don’t think it went that well. I was too early (that’s bad form big-time), and I was visibly nervous. I might not be quite ready to interview for other jobs, but I kind of feel like its an emergency.

They are a PHP shop and I’ve never used that language other than the time I spent prepping for the interview (no technical questions were asked). I might not be a good fit for that guy’s company, but hopefully I can land me a decent gig somewhere around here.

I have to look forward and try very hard to do what is best for me and my family. I make a lot of money for this area of the country, so that makes it even tougher for me. A lot of places want to pay software developers next to nothing around here (maybe that’s everywhere).

Er, this story went on a tangent. Sorry about that.

Thanks for giving me a voice, devpressed.

Too me it’s bad form only if you showed up the night before and slept in a tent in the parking lot :wink:

How early is too early ? 30 minutes, 1 hour ? You showed them the interview was important to you. I can’t see how they could possibly spin that negatively.

Good point. I was there 15 minutes early.

Much better early than late!

Great job getting out there and interviewing! This time last week that seemed impossible. But not only did you get your resume out, but you got an interview. In a week! That’s fantastic. So what if it’s not the best job ever, that’s actually better, because you get some practice in, get the jitters out, before the interview you really want to do well on. Overcoming the inertia to start looking and the emotional chaos of waiting for my resume to get hits is always the worst part for me. And you’re already past that stage!

I apologize if I’ve already linked these (I think about you and your situation often, so it’s hard to remember if you’ve inspired me to write something or if I’ve already shared it), but here are some articles about interviewing I wrote up recently, hoping they might help someone here. (Sorry for the long ramble)

How I prepare for interviews, and my process :

Gaining confidence in interviews:

“Post-Interview Questions” Post-Interview Questions. I interview well (I recently wrote an… | by Penny Schaffer | Medium

1 Like

Thank you for posting this. I have an interview next friday and that helps.

I’m dreading these questions…

“Tell me about a time you failed…”
“What’s your biggest weakness ?”
“Where do you see yourself in 5 years?”

… but I think I can nail the first 2 with a cheat sheet like you suggest. I’ve failed several times and I learned from those experiences.

The 3rd one is more tricky. I’m in my late 30s and I’d like to change careers at some point. I used to say my goal was to launch my one startup at some point. But that’s no longer true.

1 Like

I’m a very honest person in interviews, but the 5 year question is one where I usually give a line. What does this particular company, this particular job look like in 5 years? That’s what I’ll say. Because, honestly, I hope to be alive in 5 years, and that’s not always certain. My 5 year goals are so different from those of people without depression, and ultimately are none of their business.

Think about the question they’re trying to ask, and answer that instead. Are you planning on sticking around? Are you power hungry? Are you wanting to learn and leave? Think about what information you want to convey to them in your answer. You can even say that you don’t make 5 year plans as long as when you explain why, you give them a message, a story, to take away.

The question I have to put the most effort into is the first one out of the gate: Tell me a bit about yourself. I hate that one. It’s so unfocused and yet sets the tone for the whole interview. When I’m practicing, that’s the one I spend the most time on.

2 Likes

That’s funny. I was asked all of those questions. My answer to the “Where do you see yourself in 5 years” question was “I hope to still be living in .”

He asked me if I went to church, too, which I’m pretty sure is off limits, but I answered it. I’m Catholic but haven’t been to mass in at least 13 years.

The part that I’ve always been nervous about is the technical part of the interview. I had an interview in mobile, AL once that I totally bombed and that company won’t even interview me again.

I had to explain why OOP was so awesome and draw stuff out on a whiteboard. I’m just sure I’ll get it wrong, say the wrong word to describe something, or make myself look incompetent.

FWIW, I think things at my current job are getting better. I’m 75% sure they aren’t going to fire me. I have made a complete turnaround in such a short amount of time (because I’m incredibly scared of the uncertainty of being without a job). Well, that, and that was totally not how I typically act at work. That was incredibly out of character for me.

I engaged in conversation with the son yesterday and he was cordial and included me. I felt like I wasn’t being shunned or anything.

They are looking for 20 .Net developers and no one wants to move to that part of my state. It’s me and two other guys.

They need me, for sure. I have been acting very professional, smiling, laughing, and pretending nothing happened, in order to hopefully stay there a little while longer while I find somewhere else to work.

1 Like