I wanted to raise some things to think about when posting or replying
- If you are not a mental health professional, you should avoid diagnosing or giving treatment advice. You may do more harm than good.
- If you are a mental health professional, identify yourself as such, and list your credentials.
- It's okay to talk about personal experiences, but make sure it's clear that it's your own experience, and may not be applicable to anyone else.
- Remember to listen non-judgmentally. Your responses should reflect empathy.
- Be kind and careful in your responses.
- Often the best advice is to encourage people to seek professional help.
- Include commonly used words in your topic so others can find it. To group your topic with related topics, select a category.
OSMI strongly recommends taking the Mental Health First Aid course to learn how to interact in a helpful way. It is extremely informative and is available in 22 countries:
Thank you for being part of the OSMI Forums!